Skip to main content

Sports...blah!

So I don't know if it is proper etiquette to post more than one post in a day, but I'm guessing it is rather common with overexcited new bloggers, like myself. So I'm forgetting etiquette for the moment. :)

 
I don't know about you, but I am really not an athletic or sporty type. I mean sure I'll shoot a few hoops, toss around a football/baseball, or play some badminton, but overall I am very nonathletic. So for the first few years of my life I ignored sports all together. My parents and brothers are VERY into football, especially my brothers, and it is difficult to remember a Sunday afternoon when there wasn't a game on TV being watched at my house. But for quite a while I purposefully ignored it, and even refused to talk about or hear comments on football from my quite enthusiastic brothers. But then I realized something.
I am going to (hopefully) marry someday, specifically marry a man. I can't think of a single guy I have ever met who didn't love sports of one kind or another. Some love football, others basketball, others hockey, and still other just might be in love with swimming. Either way I was going to have to change my outlook.
Why? You might ask. Why can't the guy just have his interests, and you have yours. I mean it's not like my husband is going to get all goo-goo-ga-ga over my crafts or sewing. But I think the answer to that is stated rather clearly in 1 Corinthians 11. "For man was not made from woman, but woman from man. Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man." (Vs 8-9). The man was not created to support the woman, we were created as women to support our men in everything that they do. 
How am I supporting my husband if we are sitting down to dinner, and he is all excited about how Michael Phelps won a world swimming championship, or how Tim Tebow threw some incredible pass, and I just look at him blankly? "That's nice, hunny." I might say. And he would be completely deflated because he can't share one of his biggest interests with his wife. How am I supporting my husband if he wants to toss around a football or go play tennis with me, and I shrug it off because I was never very good at sports?
So how are we supposed to get interested in sports, when we suck at them, or they really hold no appeal to us? There are lots of ways we can do that. 
  1. We can be willing to try. You may not be able to catch a football very well, or even know how to wear a baseball glove, but the fact you are willing to try makes all the difference. I learned this years ago with my brothers. They love it when I toss around a football with them, even though both my arm and aim suck. And when I screw up mightily, I laugh along with them at my silly mistake, and they enjoy being able to share that with me. 
  2. Ask questions. So once I started to change my outlook on sports, I began asking questions. Before that the only thing I really knew about football was what a Touch Down was. So during commercials I would ask the boys or my parents why the umpire threw a flag, or what a challenge meant, or names of certain of the players. I even began to ask questions about the players outside of when we were watching football. My brothers still have to hide a chuckle every now and then about how clueless I am, but then they are all fire excited to explain it to me, and watch me get it. 
  3. You can study it on your own. Read a book, research online, or watch a sport on TV to learn more about it. 
These may not be easy, or even really enjoyable steps to take. But let me tell you it makes a world of difference to the men in your life. The boys love that I can now go online and check football scores for them, and not have to ask what the teams initials mean. I know that NO is for the New Orleans Saints, that SF is for the San Fransisco 49ers, and that NYJ is for the New York Jets, (verses the New York Giants). Believe me, this is a great improvement over my earlier knowledge. :) So I would encourage you to take the time to do the above three steps, and take a real interest in that which interests the men around you, whether that be your husband, father, brothers, or fiance.

Comments

  1. Beautiful blog, Hannah. Just some encouragement - not all guys are goo-goo over sports. My guys have never focused much on them (OK, maybe during some of the Olympics), because they take after their daddy. You have a great attitude about sports (just in case).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kevin. I wasn't sure if there were guys out there who weren't interested in any sports, as I've never met them. But it is great to know that they do exist. :)

      Delete
  2. My boyfriend isn't into sports either, but one way that helps when with someone who is is learning to be a cheerleader. Even if you suck, you can always yell really loud. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But your boyfriend likes cross country and soccer. Those are sports.

      Delete

Post a Comment