Skip to main content

Playing Hostess.



So we have guests coming this Sunday, and Kyle* is also joining us for a week at that time as well. This means that there are preparations to make around here, and as Kyle is coming, my mother has let me be a bigger part of the planning and arranging than usual. That means in a small sense, I get to play hostess!!!

Yes, I know, it may not seem that exciting, but I disagree. I just love all the little things that go into being a hostess. I love the planning before hand, preparing rooms for guests, making food while they are here, and even cleaning up after they have left. Being hostess is not something that I have had a lot of chance to do, but I love it!

One fun example of when I got to be a hostess recently is when a friend of my mother's and her daughter were coming over for an evening. My sister and I were to have our friend to ourselves in the living room as our mothers went downstairs to our little apartment. Before they arrived, I made two different kinds of hot tea, baked biscuits, and set out jam and butter.

By the time my friend got here, the living room was clean, with a comfy quilt waiting patiently, I had warm biscuits, jam, and butter on the coffee table, and I was ready to ask her what she wanted to drink. My sister went with the iced chai, my friend had iced peach tea, and I chose to have the same peach tea hot with sugar. We cuddled down on the couch, ate biscuits and tea, and giggled like little girls. It was lovely. *smile*

This time I have a little more to help with than biscuits and tea. There are rooms to prepare, a house to clean, laundry to do, meals to plan and make, and more. But I am loving every part of it. I just completed preparing what I could for the time being in one of the bedrooms, and really enjoyed just cleaning the room and making it welcoming.

Not much more that I have done yet, other than helping plan the menu for this next week. But I am really looking forward to all the little hostess duties that I will get to do in the week ahead.

What part of being a hostess do you most enjoy? Which would you like to get a little better at? What kind of advice might you have for someone just learning that skill, such as myself? Please feel free to comment below.

*Meet Kyle in my post Exceeding and Abundantly More.

Comments