Skip to main content

24 Books Read in 2013.


With a New Year often comes new resolutions. Well last year I set some goals for the New Year, and actually followed through on one of them. I made a list of 24 books that I wanted to read for the year, and actually completed 23 of them, changing one at the last minute. The books ranged in length, difficulty, and content. But some of them were really good. So I wanted to share with you all what I read last year, and tell you a little more about some of them. Bear with me, or skip ahead to one that looks interesting.

January:
Every Young Woman's Battle by Shannon Ethridge and Stephen Arterburn
This book was very helpful in a time that I was really struggling with many of the issues dealt with in this book. It was both convicting and practical. It warned against dangers, presented radical solutions, and was full of scripture that was and still is quite helpful in my battle with my flesh. Really recommend for all young woman, whether you think you struggle in this area or not.
7 Laws of the Learner by Bruce Wilkinson
Really liked this one, and learned a lot about how people learn and how to teach more effectively. Would recommend for any teacher or parent out there.

February:
Signature in the Cell by Stephen C. Meyer
This is one that I particularly enjoyed as it was chock full of genetics and the like. A long and somewhat hard read, but it really brought to light some of God's amazing design in our genetic makeup and the way it so obviously points to Him.
The Time Machine by H.G. Wells

March:
Case for a Creator by Lee Strobel
This one was very helpful for those wanting to defend their faith against "knowledgeable" scientists. Covered many areas of the scientific viewpoint in personal interviews with evolutionists and creationists alike. Would highly recommend, especially for those who are going to be confronted for their faith by the scientific worldview.
The Holiness of God by R.C. Sproul
This was an amazing book! It just made the holiness of God and our need to glorify Him very clear, and reveals the true meaning of "fearing" God. I would highly recommend as it was an eye opener and just revealed so many aspects of God that I had not seen in the past.

April:
Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahoney
This one was really lovely as it showed many ways that a woman could live in the way that God created her to live. It covered more general areas as well as specific areas such as feminine appeal in being a wife or mother. I liked this one, and think that many other woman would enjoy it as well.
Weekend Makeover by Don Aslett.
This book would be quite helpful for anyone overwhelmed by their belongings or seeking to clean house. It covered pretty much every area, and after reading it I went on a spree and cleaned out my room, getting rid of a third of my stuff, and have lived in much more comfort since. Also discusses the short-term goals that you should keep after the big project is done.

May:
My So-Called Life as a Proverbs 31 Wife by Sara Horn
This one was a lot of fun, and made me laugh more than once. The author made a decision to try to purposefully be a wife like that laid out in Proverbs 31. Her successes and failures were so real, and brought on much laughter and empathy. A fun book that I think many would love and resonate with.
Moby Dick by Herman Melville
I loved this one! It was long, and hard to get through at times, but I really enjoyed it. It is extremely well written and such an amazing allegory, and to be honest I just felt quite accomplished that I got all the way through it.

June:
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck.
Great literature read. Very deep and at some points dark, this book really pulled at the heart strings and left the reader feeling almost empty. This author just really knew what he was doing.
1776 by David McCullough
This was a very informative book on the Revolutionary War, George Washington, and much more. A recommended read for any studying that time period.

July:
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain.
This was a fun read, especially if you like Mark Twain, medieval stories, King Arthur, or a lot of the older speech. Much of the speech in this book caused me a good laugh or a smile, and the story line took some pretty interesting twists. A pretty entertaining classic.
When Children Love to Learn by Elaine Cooper
This was a very clear and yet detailed explanation of the Charlotte Mason teaching style. I really enjoyed it, and it caused me to think about how I might choose to homeschool in the future, and also brought up some really good truths I wouldn't have thought of on my own. This is one I plan to read again in the future when it is more immediately applicable.

August:
Leadership as an Identity by Crawford Loritts
Not much thoughts on this one as I barely remember it. I guess it wasn't one that made much of an impression on me....
Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis.
This one was a read that I really enjoyed. A true story of a young woman who went to Africa, fell in love with it, and then stayed and changed her life story by adopting destitute little girls. Her story is so amazing, and made me miss Africa, and pulled on the heart strings more than once. It is very inspirational, and is a non-fiction that I would highly recommend. 

September:
Desperate by Sarah Mae and Sally Clarkson
This book held a lot of very helpful truths and was quite an amazing read. It is geared, however, towards mothers. A party which I am not yet a member of. So though I enjoyed it and was able to glean some things from it, I think it is one that I will read again later when I really need it and am as the title says "desperate."
Idol Lies by Dee Brestin
This book was amazing! It was extremely convicting and truthful. It cut to the core and required me to take a real look at the idols that I had and how that was affecting my relationship with God. It was a book that really helped me in the process of taking an 180 degree turn during a time when I really needed to. I think everyone should read this book, whether they think they struggle with idols or not.

October:
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
Once again I fell in love with Dicken's characters and was pulled into an amazing story. This book is full of twists and turns, but is also rather dark in some areas and may be difficult for some to follow. But if you are up for a challenging read and enjoy characters of depth and unconventional story-lines, this is the read for you. A classic that I am very glad I took the time to read.
Richard III by William Shakespeare
Ok, so not exactly a book. But I loved Shakespeare as usual! This was the first history I read by him, but his words and poetic phrasing and amazing characters were once again present. For any Shakespeare lover, I highly recommend this one. And for the rest of you, I think you should read it anyways. *wink* 

November:
Let Me Be a Woman by Elisabeth Elliott.
This was a book written by Elisabeth Elliott, who has influenced me a lot, to her newly engaged daughter. It is a series of letters where she talks to her daughter about marriage and how to care for, honor, respect, and revere her fiance who will soon be her husband.She backs all of her words with scripture, and her words started to give me a glimpse of how much there is to the whole helpmeet thing. Ironically I finished reading this book the day before Kyle* asked me to court him with the full intent of marriage. So much of it was fresh in my mind as I set out on this journey of learning how to be the helpmeet that Kyle needs/will need. I highly recommend this book to woman in all stages of life or relationships.
Let it Go by Karen Ehman
In this book Karen hits so squarely on the head the need a woman feels to control. Through humor and real-life experiences, she opened my eyes to how much I do indeed seek control, even though I do not think of myself as a controlling person. She talked of ways to give up that control and to surrender it in many areas of life. I am still mulling over this one, and the many wise words that Karen had to say. I would recommend this book to any woman.

December:
The Man Who was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton
Oh my goodness! An incredible read. Full of wit and plot twists and very good writing, this was a book that I enjoyed very much. Please grab a copy of this fairly short classic and read it soon. It will not be one that you regret.
Love and Respect by Emerson Eggerichs
This was one that I listened to on Audio, and it was extremely helpful to me. I understood the idea that woman needed love more than anything, and men needed respect, but the detail in this book just made it all the more clear. It gave a lot of tips and experiences that were very helpful to me, and I feel much more equipped now as I learn to respect. And I also feel I understand the way a man looks at the world a little better. Would recommend this book to any one in a relationship or married who seeks to know how God would improve their relationship.

So those were the books that I read. And I am so thankful that God enabled me to stick to that so firmly last year. I am working on my list for this year, and hope to have that up soon so you all can see what I am reading and reflecting on this year. For now, I will be kind and give you a little preview.

January 2014:
Crazy Love by Francis Chan
Jayber Crow by Wendell Berry

So there you have it. If you have any questions or comments on any of these books, feel free to leave a comment! Do you have any recommendations for a book to add to my list for this year? What are some of the books that you enjoyed in 2013?

*Refer to my earlier post Exceedingly and Abundantly More.

Comments