Skip to main content

Mexican-Always a Food Win at My Home,


For something a little more light and easy this week, I wanted to post about a few of the recipes that I have tried recently that have actually worked out really well for me. I may have mentioned before that my husband is a pretty picky eater, although he is an unusual type of picky. It's not that he likes very few foods, but rather he has a particular way in his head almost any food should or shouldn't be cooked. This has made cooking for my beloved hubby quite an adventure, and has actually turned me into a much better cook/baker and has brought out my inner foodie side.

Thankfully, I have found one kind of cuisine that seems to be pretty tried and true when I make it for my husband, and I don't have to work really hard in this one area. And that area is Mexican! My hubby and I are true lovers of more authentic Mexican food, but you can also find us happily munching on Taco John's. We really are up for most types of this cuisine. 

Thus, in our few years of marriage, I have played around with a variety of different enchiladas, tacos, quesadillas, and nachos. Most of the time, my hubby will eat almost any variation of any of these dishes, but just recently I have discovered a couple that work extremely well. 

The first is my Angus Steak Tacos. These have 8 ingredients, and I love using these because my local Sam's Club often has packs of 12 of these small Angus Steaks for very decent prices. The pack will last us 4 meals. Below is my basic recipe. 

Angus Steak Tacos



Ingredients:
Eight flour tortillas
Three 4 oz. steaks
Avocado
Red Onion
Shredded Cheese(recommend a white cheese/blend) 
Cilantro(fresh or dry)
Hot Sauce of Choice
Lime Juice

Step 1. Season your steak with salt and pepper and cook on med-high heat until seared(approx 2-3 min). Flip over and cook on other side till temperature reads 135-140 degrees Fahrenheit. This will cook it till about medium. If you like your meat cooked differently, just adjust the temperature that you remove it from the heat. 

Step 2. Slice your steak, avocados, and red onion all into long thin slices. 

Step 3. Assemble your tacos. My preferred order for this is steak, then veggies, then cheese, and finish off with hot sauce, cilantro, and lime juice. 


Step 4. In order to help my tacos stay together and to keep well, after rolling them up like a burrito, I wrapped them individually in a paper towel. My husband loves this, as any he doesn't eat, he can feel guilt free at just putting them into a ziploc and into the fridge for later. 


So there you have it(for lack of a more original term); one of our most favorite Mexican style meals. Whether it is authentic in any form, I don't know. You would have to ask my hubby. Real quick, however, I would like to share with you another Mexican style food I have been making lately, although in a less formal format. 

That food is homemade taquitos. Taquitos are those skinny little tortillas that you can buy in the freezer section of Walmart and then bake or fry. My husband did this regularly, until one day I had some leftover ingredients and small tortillas(I usually buy the small ones), and decided to try to make a homemade version of this dish. 

All you need for this is some small tortillas, your preference of fillings, and some toothpicks or thread. For me these fillings usually are some seasoned hamburger, refried beans, and cheese. All I do is make a thin strip of refried beans in my tortillas, add just a couple tablespoons of cooked and seasoned ground beef, top with a small amount of cheese, and roll them up tight. When you fry them, they will unroll and make a huge mess(....learned from personal experience), so either tie twine around them or put a toothpick through them to keep them together. You can fry them on your stove top or in a deep fryer on your counter(we do the latter) at about 350 degrees. 

Once they are golden brown, simply take out of fryer and remove thread or toothpick, and you have yourself a homemade taquito. These are cheaper per one than buying them from the store, and they usually end up twice as filling. My husband usually is happy with 3 or 4 of them, whereas the store bought ones he eats 6 or 7. 

If you are a fan of anything Mexican, I hope these recipes/ideas are of some help to you. 








Comments