Skip to main content

Saturday Morning...Thoughts on Generational Stereotypes.




Saturday morning…. For some of you, the mention of Saturday morning might bring up images of turning off your alarm the night before and sleeping in as late as you want. You might imagine following this up with a lackadaisical run to a coffee shop, or a stop at the grocery store to pick up some snacks to enjoy later that day while watching the college football game on TV.

Let me invite you into my Saturday morning. My alarm goes off at 6:45am, which in itself is a treat because most days my alarm is set an hour earlier. I get dressed and ready for the day, throw up my hair so it is out of my face, and switch some laundry my husband threw into the wash the night before into the dryer. Next I send a quick good morning text to my husband, because he left an hour ago to work the Saturday morning shift at work for the third week in a row.

As soon as I go upstairs to my kitchen(the basement is my bedroom), I turn on the Christian radio station app on my phone, and start pulling multiple ingredients out of the fridge. The next hour is a calculated hurry of making a ham and corn chowder and a batch of banana bread at the same time. As I pull the finished chowder off the heat, and prepare to put the bread in the oven, I hear my young boys’ voices upstairs. This causes me to quickly throw the bread in the oven, set a timer, toss the last ingredients on the counter back into the fridge or cupboards, and head upstairs to get my sons out of bed.

What follows is the typical morning routine of changing Little One’s diaper and clothes while MiniMe struggles to wake up, go to the potty, and needs gentle reminders that he has to put his underwear and shorts back on rather than running around the house naked below the waist. Then they were sat down at the table to eat the last of the previous week’s sweet bread, an apple, and some milk while I started making a type of sausage, potato tart which we like to call Impossible Pie.

As I worked around the kitchen, completely forgetting that I was going to start a pot of coffee, drink a glass of water, and also have some sweet bread, my two young boys periodically required me to pause in whatever baking/cooking step I was working on in order to attend to their needs, requests, or desires.

After breakfast, I set the boys up with a half hour video about fish, and handed them some books we’d picked up from the library a week before when MiniMe had asked if we could learn about fish. As they watched, I finished off the Impossible Pie, put it in the oven, and started my “lazy muffins”(meaning they were a mix rather than homemade). When I had finished the batter, I called my boys in and they helped put the cupcake liners into the muffin tins. After all the batter was prepared in the tins, we still had to wait a little while for the Impossible Pie to be done as it baked at a much higher temperature than the muffins.

While we waited, MiniMe helped me do the dishes. He handed me dishes from the dishwasher, and I put them away. Then he pulled a stool up to the counter, pulled out the silverware holder from the dishwasher, and began unloading the silverware into their separate containers in the drawer. I listened to him reprimand a stray spoon or fork that fell on the floor more than once as I washed the pots, pans, and other dishes that weren’t dishwasher safe. Then MiniMe went back to the dishwasher, and I handed him dirty dishes as I rinsed them so he could put them into the now empty dishwasher, giving occasional instruction and encouragement as needed.

After this we were able to put the muffins in the oven, and while they baked, both of the boys helped me tidy the living room. MiniMe picked up the stairway by standing at the top and giggling as I tossed him things and told him where they belonged upstairs. Meanwhile I was handing pieces of trash to Little One who toddled into the kitchen and threw them away one at a time, clapping for himself every time. They were rewarded for their help by a sippy cup each filled with watered down Root Beer(my boys love ANYTHING sweet added to their water).

Next the boys sat on the couch and giggled as I vacuumed and they considered themselves safe from the loud machine. At this time it was 10:30 am. Many people I have talked to are regularly still asleep at this time on a Saturday morning.

Then there is my husband. As previously mentioned, my husband had been gone an hour by the time I was getting out of bed a little before 7 am. He would normally only work every 6th Saturday, but this was the third Saturday in a row he had taken for a coworker in order to help us take one step closer to getting out of debt. And it wasn’t the first time that week he had missed out on sleep. His schedule over the week had been as follows:

Sunday night 7:30 pm-Head into work

Monday 7am-Get off work a little early to drive to class 25 miles away. 10am-Get out of class and head home. 11am-4pm sleep(couldn’t fall back to sleep after 4pm). 7:30pm-
Head back to work.

Tuesday 8 am-Come home from work, shower, quick breakfast. 10:30am-12pm-Take a class for work. 12pm-7pm sleep. 7:30pm-Head back to work.

Wednesday 7am-Leave work early to drive to class 25 miles away, 10am-Get out of class, drive home, shower, eat, doze in a chair for few minutes. 12pm-2:30pm Take another class for work. Go home, get another 15 minutes of sleep. 4pm-Get ready for class, drive to class 25 miles away. 10:30 pm-Get to work.

Thursday 8am-Now been awake for about 40 hours, come home and watch children so wife can go to work. 1pm-4pm Nap while the boys are napping. 7:30 pm-wife gets home from work, spend time with her. 9pm-Go to sleep.

Friday 9am-Get up so wife can go to work. 5:30 pm-Wife gets home, go and donate plasma, come home and spend time with wife. 9pm-Go to sleep.

By this point, other than wondering along with me how my husband survived that week, you are probably wondering why I am telling you all of this. The reason is because I wish and desire for a switch in mindset. You see, you don’t know people’s scenario. You don’t know why your coworker is coming in and is slow at their work. My husband and I are very busy, but I know people who have it even rougher. I know a single mom who is working every single day of the week, and when she gets home, is pouring all of her energy into her son. She is saving every penny she can to buy a new car so she can continue to get to and from her work and her child’s daycare.

See, after a week like I just laid out that my husband and I had, we go to church on Sunday morning. After the service we go to Sunday School and people share their prayer requests. And this is what a couple people asked for: “We have a couple new young people at my job. They are part of the Millenial generation, so of course they are lazy and I could just use prayer that we could whip them into shape.”



My husband bit his tongue so hard that it probably bled, and it took all of our will power to not just walk out of the room. I am 24 years old. My husband is 25. We are right in the middle of the age group that these people were talking about and labeled unilaterally as lazy. That single mom is of the same age group. 



There is a stereotype out there. I expect that from culture. I know people my age who are lazy. I know that there is nothing wrong with watching football on a Saturday morning or afternoon if you are able to take that time to relax. But why are we hearing this labeling in the church? The church is supposed to be made up of believers who help and care for and encourage each other. Why would someone want to work very hard all week long to provide for their family and then go to church and be told that they are incompetent and lazy human beings? Is that what we are telling people who come to church? Is that going to make them want to come back?

For those of you who are out there and had a week like my husband’s, keep it up. For those of you in the workplace, if you see a coworker dragging, come alongside them and ask how you can help. What you see as incompetence may just be a person running on no sleep because they are so busy providing. Or they just need someone to kindly train them so they can succeed at their job. And if you call yourself a Christian, please take the time to get to know those around you before you label them simply because they are in a certain age group. Yes, some young people are lazy. Yes, some old people are stuck in their ways. Or vice versa! But that shouldn’t matter to someone walking in the Lord.

My challenge to you is next time someone of a different generation, background, etc does something that frustrates you to stay calm and remember that we are told "To speak evil of no one, to avoid quarreling, to be gentle, and to show perfect courtesy toward all people."(Tit 3:2)



Did you have a rough or long or crazy week? Let me know in the comments, so I can encourage and pray for you. I need some practice at that myself. J


Comments