Skip to main content

Everything is permissable, but not all is advisable.

So as a young woman hoping for future marriage and children, I have often looked at my parent's ways of parenting, or my mother's methods of keeping a home, and tried to decide what I would do the same, and what I would do different.

One prime example is cloth diapers. As a family, we have used both disposable and cloth diapers in many different forms. And as one of the oldest children, I have changed an insane amount of diapers, in all of the forms we have tried. There are pros and cons to both of the types of diapers.
The cloth are much less expensive, as you use them over and over and over. The original price per diaper of course they look much more pricey, but they will last you for quite a while. But then there is the issue of dealing with and washing them. If you use the type of cloth diaper with pins, the cloth can often get quite soaked with bodily fluids, and it can be almost impossible to avoid that when unpinning. When the child does a number 2, you can't simply throw the soiled diaper in the wash, it is needed to dunk or rinse the excess waste off. My older sister finds this latter dunking process quite disgusting and has sworn that she will never use cloth when she is a mother.
The disposable diapers are much simpler, as you simply remove them, throw them away, and put on a fresh one. But the price is much steeper, and can be an issue when trying to pinch pennies.

Another prime example is laundry. You may be surprised to find that the dryer uses an insane amount of energy, and is one of the highest contributors to your electrical bill. My mother's simple solution to this is to use a clothesline. Outside in the summer, inside in the winter. But let me tell you that I LOVE warm towels out of the dryer, and often times when you use the line, your towels will get crunchy. I also really dislike the feel of blue jeans left on the line. So I often struggled with where to compromise on money in order to achieve comfort in my laundry.

A third example is telling your children to be quiet. I live in a very large family where everyone in it likes to talk and make their opinions known. It is rarely quiet, and family night can be a hassle, as my parents have to constantly tell us to be quiet in order for us to enjoy our board/card games. In the one sense, I believe it is very important for children to learn to be quiet, and that silence is often necessary. On the other hand, I can tell you from personal experience that it is really annoying to be told to stop talking all the time, as it makes you feel as if your opinion doesn't matter or isn't important to your parents.
So my solution to these examples? A type of compromise.
  • There are certain types of cloth diapers that have snaps. These are a lot more pleasant to put on and remove, and the dunking doesn't bother me as much.
  • As for the laundry, I finally realized that there are some things I really don't mind putting on the line. Socks, t-shirts, unmentionables(which I would probably hang in my room); these are all things that don't get as uncomfortable when hung on a line. And for the towels and jeans, I can hang them on the line till they are very close to dry, and then throw them in the dryer to "fluff up," as my mother would say. 
  • Then the issue of children chattering. The Bible talks about idle speech. "Avoid the irreverent babble and contradictions of what is falsely called knowledge." 1 Timothy 6:20  "A gentle tongue is a tree of life, but perverseness in it breaks the spirit." Proverbs 15:4 "Should your babble silence men, and when you mock shall no one shame you?" Job 11:3. So teach your child the difference between idle chatter or hurtful remarks, and that which is gentle or up-building. Then make sure to be willing to listen when your child has something important or insightful to say. God has given many children great wisdom, but it can often get lost when they are allowed to fill their minds and speech with that which is meaningless and idle. 

Comments