Skip to main content

Angels-Heaven part 3


Welcome Back! I absolutely love the short story I am going to share with you in this post! It is probably my favorite I've ever written! I don't believe the Bible tells us a lot about angels, so the following is pure imaginings. Enjoy!


During the last few weeks in heaven, Caleb had fallen in love with Peter's job at the gate. Many an evening he would kiss his wife and tickle his son, before going someplace to meet with Peter and pester him about his job of greeting newcomers to heaven at the pearly gates. Finally, Peter had suggested that Caleb join him at his job at the gate. Caleb was thrilled!

They had now been chatting comfortably for over an hour. Their discussion, however, was interrupted by the approach of a small girl. She appeared to be around the age of five, although age didn't really matter in heaven. Caleb stood and waited until the girl had come much closer.

"Welcome to heaven, young lady."

"Thank you." The young girl had a light melodic voice, and she stood in awe at the beautiful gates before her. "Is there where Jesus lives?"

Caleb smiled. "Of course, why do you ask?"

"Because mommy told me that he lived inside of my heart, but I was sure he lived here."

Caleb again smiled, but didn't reply. He too had wondered slightly about this, but it all made perfect sense to him the minute he entered the gates. It wasn't really something you could explain, especially to a young child. It was better just to find the truth for yourselves.

"What is your name?" Caleb asked.

"I'm Sophie, who are you?'"

"I am Caleb," here Caleb turned towards Peter. "And this is my friend, Peter."

Sophie stared at the other man. "Are you the one that denied Jesus?"

"I'm afraid so."

"Don't be sad, all things work together for those that love God, right? At least that is what my Sunday school teacher told me. "

Peter and Caleb stared at the young girl. Her wisdom was astonishing, and yet so childlike, that it delighted them. For Sophie, indeed, was a very delightful girl. After a few moments, Caleb offered to take Sophie inside and show her around. Sophie gladly accepted.

"Do we get to see angels?"

"We can if you want to."

"Oh! I would love too!" cried Sophie with clasped little hands held close to her heart.

"Well then let’s go."

Caleb led her to the place where the angels held their choir.  Sophie just followed in silent rapture. The first angels they met were a group of three female angels. They wore flowing white dresses that matched their beautiful, yet individual forms, and their wings were spread out behind them.  It was these wings that Sophie first noticed. They were see-through and looked like silk with a beautiful golden trim all the way around the outside of the wings. They would sparkle in the sunlight, and seemed to carry an inner grace all of their own.

One of the angels was tall with long white hair that fell to her waist, and her eyes were a deep violet.  Another had a shorter build with an adorable blond bob and vibrant brown eyes. The third angel was of middle height and had soft brunette ringlets that fell just past her shoulders. When she turned to see who was approaching Sophie could see that she had sparkling green eyes.

"Hello, what is your name darling?" the brunette asked.

"I'm Sophie. You’re very pretty." Sophie added.

"Thank you. My name is Melanie."

"I always wanted to meet an angel. Sometimes I used to imagine that every little boy or girl had a guardian angel. I could never find the name I wanted for my angel, though."

The three angels laughed at this. Their laughs sounded like wind chimes.  Sophie thought it was absolutely beautiful.  Caleb laughed as well, and then bid the angels and Sophie farewell.

"Sophie, I would like you to meet my friends." Melanie said. "This is Aurilee."

The blond smiled and winked at Sophie. 

"And this is Ivory."

Ivory smiled very warmly at the small girl. She was enthralled by the young creature. She was charming and Ivory was very glad that they would be able to spend eternity together.  Ivory was delighted at Sophie's telling of her guardian angel fantasy, for she in them she was quite right. And the reason she had not been able to come up with a name, was because her angel had an unusual but very pretty name.

"How old are you?" Sophie asked Ivory.

"Angels never grow older; we stay the age we were made at the beginning of time. But you could say that I was about 60 of your people years. That is how "old" I was when God made me."

"Wow, that's cool." Sophie said.

"It is," Melanie said. "And we were made all different people ages, shapes, and sizes. In fact, here come three angels that to you would seem closer to your age."

Sophie turned and saw three angels headed their way. One seemed to be a young male angel, and he had a sword hung at his side. He was sturdily built, and had a look of adventure in his eye. The second was a young female angel that didn't seem much older than Sophie, although Sophie knew their was no age.  And the third was a young lady angel who walked with a natural grace.

"Sophie, let me introduce Thomas, Crissalee, and Cassie. Crissalee," Melanie said, pointing at the older girl angel, "is your guardian angel."

Sophie's jaw dropped. The young angel was so pretty, and no wonder she couldn't come up with her name. “Crissalee” would have never occurred to her. Crissalee was a beautiful angel with deep red curls that bounced lightly as she walked, and dark eyes that almost seemed to be black.

"Hello, Sophie." Crissalee greeted. "I’m so glad to finally meet you face to face. I greatly enjoyed watching over you on earth."

Sophie finally found her voice. "So, you are real?"

"Of course."

"When did you watch over me, I mean how does that work?"

"Well, at night it is my job to put pleasant dreams in your head after you have prayed that you wouldn't have nightmares. And sometimes when you almost fell down the stairs, or got hit by a car, it was me who made sure that didn't happen. That is the job that God gave me to do, and it is a great pleasure. I have even shooed away bedbugs a time or two."

"And Crissalee also has a job here in heaven." Ivory said. "She is one of the angels that keep track of the books in heaven's library."

"Really?" Sophie asked.

"We all have jobs here, as well as our own person to guard." Aurilee said.

"So what are your jobs?"

Melanie took this one. "Well, Ivory, Aurilee, Cassie, and I are all in the angel’s choir. We get to sing and dance every time a lost soul comes to Christ. Crissalee and many other angels are in charge of the books that come into heaven. And Thomas and others are part of the angel’s army. It is their job to chase away demons and other assignments that Jesus gives them."

"But they all still have a person to be a guardian angel for, too?" Sophie asked. Melanie nodded.

Sophie thought on this for a moment. As she did, she looked around at her beautiful surroundings. It was then that she saw two men sitting together talking.

"Who are those men?" She asked Crissalee.

"Well, only one of them is a man, the other is an angel."

"Where are his wings?"

They all laughed at this. Crissalee then folded her wings behind her, and they lay in-between her shoulders, down her back. You couldn't even see them from the front. Sophie was surprised by this. She had just figured that angels always kept their wings out.

"Anyways," Crissalee said. "The angel is Michael; he's the head of the angel army. And the man is Jesus. I'm sure you've heard of him."

Sophie's eyes grew very large as she stared at Jesus. She wasn't sure what she was supposed to do. Was she supposed to run to him and give him a hug, or go curtsy, or sit on his lap. She didn't have to figure this out, however, because Jesus turned from Michael and smiled at Sophie.

"Hello, Sophie. Come here and sit on my lap. I want you to meet somebody."

Sophie walked slowly towards Jesus until she was standing right in front of him. He smiled at her, and lifted her into his lap. Sophie wasn't sure why, but it was then perfectly natural for her to lay her head on his chest and snuggle closer to him. Jesus, of course, didn't mind this at all. He just held her a little closer, and kissed the top of her downy blond head.

"Now Sophie, did I hear that you were interested in guardian angels?"

 Sophie nodded against his chest.

"Well, this is Michael. He was my guardian angel."

Sophie stared at the large angel. He was very muscular, and had a striking appearance with jet black hair and deep brown eyes. But behind those eyes Sophie could see a sparkle, and she liked him immediately.

"Why did you need a guardian angel?" She asked Jesus. "You are God, aren't you?"

"Yes, I am. And I didn't really need one, but I knew that when I became human, I would sometimes have nightmares, so I asked Michael to be my guardian angel."

This answer seemed to satisfy Sophie, and she just snuggled and listened to Jesus' and Michaels discussion. After a few minutes, Michael stood.

"I think I'm going to take a spin. My wings need some exercise."

"Why don't you take Sophie with you?" Jesus asked.

Michael turned and smiled at Sophie. "Have you ever flown, Sophie?"

Sophie shook her head.

"Well then today is your lucky day." Michael took Sophie from Jesus' lap, and placed her on his back. "Now hold on tight."

Before she knew it, Sophie was sitting on Michael's shoulders as he flew over heaven. She looked down and saw many pretty sights. There were streets of gold, waterfalls, meadows of flowers, and swarms of butterflies. Sophie thought she could spend the rest of eternity on Michael's shoulders.

After a while, he let her down on the ground, and smiled warmly at her. "Why don't you go find Cassie, she would love to play with you I'm sure."

Sophie thanked him and ran off in order to find the little angel. She found her spinning pretty images off her fingers.

"What are you doing?" Sophie asked.

"I'm making pretty dreams for my little girl on earth."

"What's her name?"

"Emily and she is two in earth years. Hey, would you like to help me, Sophie?"

"Really, can I?"

"Sure, you just tell me what to put in the dreams, and I'll make them."

Sophie and Cassie spent the rest of the day together making dreams, flying over waterfalls, chasing away bedbugs, and running in meadows of flowers. Later Jesus found them asleep in a bed of flowers next to a waterfall. They were holding hands in their sleep, and their small faces were lit with pleasant dreams. Jesus just stood and looked down on them with love and adoration. Finally he whispered to himself. "My little angels."

What have you imagined angels will be like in Heaven? Would love to hear your thoughts. :)

Other Posts in this Series:
Imaginings-Heaven part 1
Till I See You Again-Heaven part 3
What are You Excited For(Guest Post from Made Beautiful).




Comments