Skip to main content

My Parenting Battlefield-War Room part 4


Thanks for joining me for yet another post in my War Room Series. You can read the first post in the series here. I've talked about using my war room for fighting for my marriage, how I've made it beautiful, and now I'm excited to share how I use my war room to pray for my children and help do battle over them!!

Let me do a small recap of some of the things I explained in an earlier post in this series about fighting for my marriage. As I explained in that post, my main goal in these articles is to give you a little of an idea of how I myself do battle for my family members, in a practical sense. This is something that will, of course, look different for every person. But I found as I was discovering what worked for me, that it was helpful to see what other Godly women had done, so I could use a little of their ideas and then make it my own.

For me, one of the concepts I found to be most relevant when planning a battle strategy was the concept of needing a battle map in order to track out where my weak spots were, where the enemy might try to enter, and where and how to place my defenses. This concept made a lot of sense to me. I have already laid out what this looks like in my marriage, but I wanted to share my battlefield for my children as well. 


So just like my marriage concept, I used 9 different areas that I felt God called me to as a mother.


As shown in the picture above, these 9 areas included: Bless, Teach, Pray, Encourage, Serve, Model, Train, Listen, and Motivate. I was then able to put defenses(scripture) around each area. Along with the scriptures, I wrote out specific prayers based on the scriptures I had found for each area. I will share these scriptures and prayers below to help give a little better idea of what this looks like, and then I will finish by explaining how I use this battle map each evening before I go to bed. 

Feel free to read through all of these, just scroll through to get some ideas, or save them for later if you want some help finding some specific verses for certain areas. 


Bless:
"If you then, who are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will the heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to those who ask him."  -Luke 11:13

Prayer: 
"Father, give me strong desire to model You by delighting in giving good gifts to my children. And remind me in turn of all the ways You love to bless me." 

Teach: 
"You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, and when you walk by the way, and when you lie down, and when you rise." -Deuteronomy 6:7
"Come, O children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the LORD." -Psalm 34:11

Prayer:
"Father, you have given me a sacred duty to teach my children. Let this be most impressed upon my heart in the area of your statutes. Help me to teach them the fear of the Lord as well as any truths they will need as they grow." 

Pray:
"And he told them a parable to the effect that they ought always to pray and not lose heart." -Luke 18:1
"Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer." -Romans 12:12

Prayer: 
"Father, let me be constant in prayer so that I can rejoice in hope with the boys, and so I can be patient with them when their day is one of tribulation. And let me be constantly praying for the boys, never losing heart that You hold them firmly in your hands." 

Encourage:
"Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear." -Ephesians 4:29

Prayer: 
"Lord, I need Your help at keeping corrupting or discouraging words from escaping my lips at the boys. Help my words instead to encourage them, build them up, and be graceful towards them when they hear it." 

Serve:
"For even the Son of Man came not to be served but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many." -Mark 10:45
"As each one has received a gift, use it to serve one another, as good stewards of God's varied grace." -1 Peter 4:10

Prayer: 
"God, help me to follow in Your example of willingly serving others, and not expecting to be served. Let this attitude always be in me towards my boys. And help me to use the specific gifts You have given me as a mother to serve my boys."

Model:
"In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to the Father who is in heaven." -Matthew 5:16
"Show yourself in all respects to be a model of good works, and in your teaching show integrity, dignity, and sound speech." -Titus 2:7

Prayer: 
"Lord, make me a model of good works to the boys that it might help them see You. Let me model integrity, dignity, and sound speech in my teaching. And let my good works help my sons to give glory to You." 

Train:
"Train up a child in the way he should go, and he shall not depart from it." -Proverbs 22:6

Prayer: 
"Father, help me train up my boys in the way they should go. Help me to teach them sure roads they can walk on, keep to, and not depart from."

Listen:
"Whomever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me."  -Matthew 18:4-5

Prayer: 
"Lord, show me the faith of my children that I might listen to them as valuable. Show me their trusting spirit that I can become like them, and receive them in Your name." 

Motivate:
"And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near." -Hebrews 10:24-25

Prayer:
"Lord, help me to never cease to draw near to the boys so I can encourage them and stir them up. Help me to consider them and observe that I might best know how to motivate them and pray as they prepare for Your coming. 

So how do I use my battle map? Well first of all, as I was putting it together, every verse I used for it I highlighted in my bible in blue(read about my color coding system here.). Then I wrote the verses out on blue sticky notes and put them on the section of my wall I use for parenting scripture and prayer. 
When I finished my battle map, I put it in a clear plastic sleeve and hung it on a nail in my parenting section. Then I created a piece of paper called "My Parenting Battle Log." 

So each night as I go into my war room, I take my battle map off the wall and look over it to see where Satan and his troops tried to enter that day. I highlight that area(Pray, Motivate, etc.) and the bits of my prayers that go with it, where I know the enemy got past my front line, in with a dry erase marker, as well as writing the date next to it. Then I take the sticky note(s) off the wall that are my defenses for that area of my map, and pray the scripture and the highlighted area of my prayers, as well as anything else I need to add, over that area of my map. This is how I reinforce my defenses in my areas so they are better able to stand up to the forces of the enemy. 

And then lastly, I take out that Parenting Battle Log, and I write the date, the area I struggled, and then the circumstances around it, so I know what to watch out for next time. For instance I might write "7-1-19. Pray: It was an easy day today, and so I grew complacent, and forgot the need to pray over my children, or with them." My purpose behind this is to be able to go back to the Log and see what things might trip me up so I can be proactive in reinforcing my defenses. 

I hope that the information in this post is something that will spark some ideas in you for how you can do battle for your children in your own home. Stay tuned for the last post in the series, where I share some of the scripture and defenses I use for my finances, my health and wellness, and for praying for those outside of my home!!


Other Posts in this series: 




Comments