Skip to main content

Out of The Mouth of Babes-Heaven part 6.


If you have been with me for every short story type post in this series(read the first one here), you may have discovered something about me by the characters I've included in my stories. I love children. I have always had a strong love for children. Thus, there have been multiple child characters in my imaginings in heaven.

I started getting paid to take care of other people's children when I was 11 or 12 years old, and I am still doing it today! Although I can tell you it is a completely different ball game when it is your own child!! Yikes... Anyways, I think part of what I wonder as I'm putting my mind on the things not of this world, and of that yet to come, is will we still be able to do some of the things that God has gifted us with in heaven?

I mean, that will probably just be a free thing that we can do as we please, but I can't wait to get to heaven and meet the children there. I don't know...maybe none of our new bodies will be in the form of a child. But either way, since we are told to become like children, I really do look forward to being surrounded by that accepting faith, curiosity, and awe and wonder that is rarely found outside of the eyes of a child anymore.

\

As we wrap up this series, I would like to share just one more short story with you. This one could almost be called more of a snippet, as it was the last one I wrote, and I never got the chance to finish it(maybe a writing project for my spare time....). This one is all about children and their beautiful spirits....


Peter turned from his post when he heard one of the pearly gates open from the inside. His face lit with a ready smile for the two figures that appeared. The first figure was of a man that Peter knew well, and loved with his whole being. The second was a beautiful creature with radiant wings, soft brown curls, and shining green eyes.

“Hello Jesus, hello Melanie.” Peter greeted. “To what do I owe the pleasure of your presence?”

Jesus stepped forward and embraced Peter warmly before answering. “We came to greet the newcomers.”

“Oh? Who are you expecting?” Peter asked.

“There was an accident on earth, and a school bus full of children died. They should arrive at any moment.” Jesus said.

“And what of the man who was driving? Are we to expect him as well?”

At this, Jesus’ eyes closed in silent agony. Peter watched with remorse as a tear fell from Jesus’ eyes, and trailed down His cheek. Melanie stood in silence, watching her beloved Lord’s grief. Finally, Jesus spoke.

“The driver refused to acknowledge my existence. We will not be expecting him.”

He said this almost in a whisper, and they had to strain to hear him. His words caused all three to be silent, though that was not to last for long. Barely had Jesus finished speaking when young excited voices could be heard. Jesus composed himself quickly and turned with a radiant smile for the children that were headed his way. 5 young boys and 6 young girls stopped about 10 feet from the three adults. All the children stared at Melanie, especially at her wings.

After what seemed like a long time, one of the little girls whispered to the others, and placed them all in a neat line. She then took her place at the front of the line. She walked towards Melanie, and the other children followed in what seemed similar to a game of follow the leader.

“Are you an angel?” The little girl asked Melanie with reverence.

“Yes, I am.”

The little girl shook Melanie’s hand soundly and grinned. “Hi Angel, my name is Becky. That’s short for Rebecca Louise Lincoln, but you can call me Becky. Everyone else does.”

Melanie laughed. “Hello Becky, my name is Melanie. All angels have names too.”

The other children tittered. One little boy stuck his hand up in the air. Becky turned and glared at him, but the little boy ignored her.

“Where is Jesus? Mommy always said when we got to heaven, we would see Jesus.”

The three adults laughed warmly at this, and Jesus stepped forward. He walked right past Becky, and stopped in front of the boy, who was about 5th in line. He got down to the boy’s level and smiled.

“Here I am, at your service.”

The little boy’s eyes widened. Jesus’ warm smile completely unarmed him. He stuttered quite a bit. “I’ve been good!” He finally blurted. “And..and..and I believe in the Cross.”

“Well in that case, welcome to heaven.” Jesus said. He stood so that all the children could see him better. “Welcome all of you, we are very glad to have you. Now if you will kindly introduce yourself to Melanie and to Peter there, we have some fun things planned for you.”

The children nodded in unison, and turned to Melanie. First there was Becky, and then Lily, followed by Adam and Kelsey. After that came Titus, Stephen, Jenny, and Tobias. The last three in line were Alex, Nick, and Paige.

Jesus then told the boys that they could come with Him if they wished, and He would teach them how to walk on water. The girls had the choice of going with Melanie, and her and the other angels would take them flying. The children became very excited over this, and Jesus could see that they were all going to have a lovely afternoon.


Other Posts in This Series:
Imaginings-Heaven part 1
Till I See You Again-Heaven part 2
Angels-Heaven part 3
What are You Excited For(Guest Post from Made Beautiful)
Conversation-Heaven part 5


Comments