Skip to main content

Finding God in the Smallest Moments.


Life is crazy. It can be crazy beyond belief, and often times we get so caught up in simply keeping up that we miss out on key opportunities to appreciate God's glory. I think my life is crazy, and I don't even have a husband, any children, or a household to take care of. Not to mention I also have only a part time job, and a very small amount of schooling.
Hour wise I have a 20 to 24 hour work week, about 3 hours tops of tutoring a week, 6 hours of drama a week, and 3 hours of church activities tops. Other responsibilities include reading two books a month, taking care of the entire kitchen at home minus the grocery shopping, with a sister helping, being an accountability partner, and blogging. And yet I think I'm busy. :)
So I often find myself busy, and rarely find myself bored. So though I fit some bible reading or something similar into my schedule daily, I often miss out on those opportunities to simply commune with God. But sometimes I actually am in tune enough to recognize a special moment where God is speaking to my heart, and this past Saturday night is a prime example of that.
Since I was little I have had a certain fascination with the stars. We would get home from some activity late at night, and though I was often exhausted, if the sky was bright and clear with stars, I always paused and admired the view. Saturday night was no different. As I was walking home from my supper shift at the steak and grill I work at, I tried to call a friend as walking home in the dark can make me quite lonely.
But my friend didn't answer her phone, so I simply walked and after a moment or two glanced up at the sky. The view literally took my breath away. The sky was perfectly clear, and the stars and their beautiful constellations seemed to be dancing in glee right before my eyes. The glory of God's majesty filled me so full, that I could only think to start singing.
Sometimes the night is beautiful.
Sometimes the sky was so far away.
Sometimes it seems to be so close
you could touch it, but your heart would break.
Sometimes the morning came too soon.
Sometimes the day could be so hard.
There was so much work left to do,
but so much you’d already done.


O God, you are my God,
and I will ever praise you.
O God, you are my God,
and I will ever praise you.
And I will seek you in the morning
and I will learn to walk in your ways.
And step by step you’ll lead me,
and I will follow you all of my days.


I hope that I didn't bother anyone in the houses I walked past, as I was in a residential area. But I just really needed to praise God in song.

I love you, Lord
And I lift my voice
To worship You
Oh, my soul, rejoice!

Take joy my King
In what You hear
Let it be a sweet, sweet sound
In Your ear


That last song was the only one that came even close to expressing how I felt at the moment, and the love that overflowed my spirit. As I was nearing home, I began to sing my favorite hymn.



Be Thou my Vision, O Lord of my heart;
Naught be all else to me, save that Thou art
Thou my best Thought, by day or by night,
Waking or sleeping, Thy presence my light.

Be Thou my Wisdom, and Thou my true Word;
I ever with Thee and Thou with me, Lord;
Thou my great Father, I Thy true son;
Thou in me dwelling, and I with Thee one.

Riches I heed not, nor man’s empty praise,
Thou mine Inheritance, now and always:
Thou and Thou only, first in my heart,
High King of Heaven, my Treasure Thou art.

High King of Heaven, my victory won,
May I reach Heaven’s joys, O bright Heaven’s Sun!
Heart of my own heart, whatever befall,
Still be my Vision, O Ruler of all.


By the time I had finished this third song, I was home, though I didn't go inside. I went to a certain section of the yard that is mainly void of trees, and laid down in the grass.(God was kind enough to let the ground be fairly dry.) For many moments I merely lay on the ground and stared up at the clear, beautiful sky. It was at this point that a thought entered my mind. I am still not sure of this thought was a bible verse or not. "The skies reflect the beauty of the Lord."
Reflect? Reflect only shows the smallest amount of something. If the sky was this incredible and glorious, how much more so was the God who created them!? I lay there and soaked in this small picture of the glory of God. I laid there and wondered why would a God so glorious as to make a sky like that be interested in a  person like me?  Me? There isn't anything about me worthy of the the slightest attention from God. All I could think to do was bask in the beauty, and say thank you over and over and over again. 
After a while I went inside and started searching online for that verse that said the skies reflected the beauty of the Lord. Instead I found Psalm 8.

3When I consider your heavens,
the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
which you have set in place,
4what is man that you are mindful of him,
the son of man that you care for him?  


Wow!!! David said what I was thinking in perfect words. What is man that you are mindful of him? How beautiful a way to say EXACTLY what I was thinking in a poetic way. The fact that David and I looked at the stars and had the exact same thoughts was really cool! Whoever said that the Bible wasn't relevant to today should read this passage.
I found a wonderful God moment in a really obscure time. I hope that you too are able to keep your eyes and ears open enough to recognize similar moments, and that God will today reveal something beautiful to you.

Comments