Skip to main content

Valentine's Day!


Considering the fact that the title of my blog is Preparing for a Future Valentine, it's probably not ok to ignore the fact that it's Valentine's Day. I am not in any kind of relationship this year, just as I have never been in one in the past, so my Valentine's day will look a little different than a lot of woman's this year.
If you have read my About Me section, you'll know that a year ago, I hated Valentine's day. To me it was single awareness day. And this year is no different in that it is again difficult. This year is my elder sister's first year with a valentine, and it is also my first Valentine's day as a legal woman. But something completely different has happened since last year, and because of that I intend to have a lovely Valentine's Day even without a relationship.
Or rather I will have a day filled with a relationship far greater than any I could ever have with any human man. Jesus is my focus this Valentine's, and in his great wish to grant gifts to those who love him, he has already presented me with gifts far greater than simple chocolate, flowers, or cards.

Jesus' Chocolate:
I am not the largest fan of chocolate in general. If someone wants to give me chocolate, it has to be rich, flavorful, and lasting. Something that will satisfy me in small amounts, and yet I would always crave more. Jesus knows me so well, that he gave me exactly the kind of chocolate that I need. He gave me his word!
The Bible is the perfect chocolate bar. It is so rich that merely a few bites will blow you away, so flavorful you beg for another bite, and so lasting that it stays in your memory for years to come. I get so much out of the Bible after reading it in only small amounts, and yet I always want to come back to it for more.
Thank you Jesus for the perfect chocolate this year!

Jesus' Flowers:
So to me flowers have always been a sign of growth, and the beauty that comes out of sacrifice. The flower starts out as a mere seed, and then allows it's shell to be broken, and something beautiful begins to grow. The bud hides it's real beauty, but after patience, the wondrous bloom emerges. Then after a while, the flower again sacrifices by letting go of its petals, in preparation for an even better bloom the next year.
This past year Jesus gave me flowers. The sad seed that mourned over "single awareness day" last year was broken in many places. It was required to submit and trust both its heavenly and earthly father. This began to lead to growth, and soon a bud began to form. My bud this year was a bible study God allowed me to run for 9 months. Then the real bloom began to show during a period where it was wintry and cold outside.
Now there are many days where God has asked me to sacrifice my petals, and though the road is hard, and I often cling too tight to those petals, I am quite excited to see the beauty of the bloom next year. 
Thank you Jesus for my flowers, and help me to sacrifice those petals that I want to cling to.

Jesus' Cards:
The meaning behind the card? Is it the card-stock or the decorations?  Is it the shape or color? Of course not! Nobody wants their sweetheart to give them a card on Valentine's Day that is void of words. "Look honey, the card-stock is incredible!" No, the importance of the card is the heartfelt words in the card, and the love behind them.
Jesus gave me an abundance of cards this year in the form of meaningful words and acts of love. Just in the past week, he has blessed me by using my mother, father, friend, and even customer's at the place I work.
  • My mother paused me when she dropped me off at work the other day and brought tears to my eyes when she said "I love you, Hannah, and I'm proud of you."
  • When I came home from a small shopping trip and was playing dress up for my sisters, my father told me had no idea that God was going to bless him with "such beautiful daughters, that I am eternally grateful they choose to display their bodies modestly."
  • A young friend of mine hugs me and says I love you every time we say goodbye, talk on the phone, or chat on Yahoo. She also has loved me through an area of sin, and aided in helping me avoid temptation.
  • One of my customers hugged me warmly yesterday, and said "I love you." This was on the same day my fashion savvy boss told me that the color blue was very flattering on me.
These and many more are examples of the cards Jesus has showered on me. Thank you so much, Jesus for the lovely cards!

My Valentine this year has style! :) His cards, chocolate's and flowers warm my heart daily, and he treats me like his princess every day of the year, whether February 14th or not. What has Jesus blessed you with today?

Comments