Skip to main content

Morning Bird, Night Owl, and Me.


If you read my earlier post: Many Hands Make Light Work , I told you a little bit about some of my siblings. In there I gave pet names to my 3-year-old twin sisters. As those two gals are the protagonists of the story about to unfold, I will once again tell you a little bit about them.
Chatty is two minutes older then her twin, and is a quite spunky little girl. She loves to talk to all that are willing to listen, and her stories can be difficult to stop once they get started.
Drama is also fond of chatting, but is better known for her very dramatic nature. Many times when told no, she will place the back of her hand across her eyes and weep bitterly as if her long lost love has come to an untimely demise. When in truth, she is merely upset over an unwanted nap.
It was yesterday morning that I realized yet another great difference in between these darling personalities. One of my twin sisters is a morning bird, and the other an obvious night owl.  I was in the bathroom around 7 in the morning, getting ready for the day, when I hear small feet come pattering past the door, and then Drama's chipper voice outside the door.
"We go potty!" She cried. "We went sleepy, and now we go potty and change clothes. Come on!"
A moment later the bathroom door opened, and in dances little Drama with a much more subdued Chatty trailing behind her. Drama immediately begins to chat incessantly, whilst Chatty looks at me with this sleepy owl look like: "Why must I wake up at this ungodly hour?"
Drama then plops down on the potty, continuing to chatter. After a few moments of this, she looks at her twin and demands: "Say something!" To which Chatty replied with a mere grunt. This made me laugh so hard that both girls stared at me in confusion.
It was just so funny to realize that even in these little 3-year old's there was a very distinct morning bird, and a very distinct night owl. Little Chatty was clearly upset and disgruntled at the early hour, whilst Drama seemed perfectly content with the time of day. I realized then that it would be very useful to recognize at a young age which way your children function.
I mean if one child functions better in the evening, whereas the other functions best in the morning, this information could be useful. Instead of being frustrated at a person because they are working slower or having a more difficult time learning in the morning, you could realize that this child is a night owl, and instead have them be the ones who stay up a little later and throws breakfast in the crock-pot, or feeds the baby that last serving of applesauce.
Or if you have a child that is a morning bird, you can realize that after a certain time at night their body shuts down, and instead they could be the one who gets up early and throws that load of laundry in the dryer, or makes breakfast for the family.
It is also very uplifting to your child if they know you understand which type you are. I know that when my mother realized that I work best midday, my older sister works best in the morning, and my younger sister woks best in the evening, and then changed how we worked in order to cater to that, life began to run much smoother. My older sister is often the one who gets up early to help around the house, my younger sister is the one to stay up late, and I'm the type that is ready and raring to go by 9 am, but done before the evening grows too long. And yes, there is such a thing as a midday person, as that is definitely what I am. :)

Comments