Skip to main content

The Lust Dare: Day #3



How to Use "The Lust Dare,"

Day #3: Time of Day.
“Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.”  -1 Peter 5:8

When it comes to the destructive thought life that breeds lust when we aren’t watching, each of us struggle in different ways. And even at different times. You may have noticed in your thought life that there are certain times of day when you struggle more with keeping your thoughts pure than at others.

For me that time of day was when I went to bed at night, and also when I first woke in the morning before I got out of bed. When I was in bed, it was really easy for me to imagine a fictitious future husband snuggling with me, touching me, caressing me, etc.  More than once I imagined a future wedding night. I liked to set boundaries for where my thoughts weren’t allowed to go, and I kept some of those boundaries, but I was still engaged in real and serious lust.

For some of you your time of day may be when you go the bathroom, or when you are in the shower, or when you are on a long car ride and your mind tends to wander, or on the weekend when you are just more lazy. There are just times where that temptation is a lot more real and a lot more difficult to flee.

My challenge to you is to find a way to flee temptation in those times. For me, when I went to bed at night I quoted scripture till I fell asleep or sang Christian music lyrics. Sometimes I would even pray, my main goal just being to have my mind on Christ instead of on all the other things that I was tempted to think on. For some people, calling a friend or an accountability partner in those times would be a way to flee temptation. For some it might be going through a mental prayer list. For others it might be listening to worship music.

I will not say that I was always successful at avoiding temptation when I went to bed at night or woke in the morning. That is not at all true. It had become such a habit that I would often not catch myself thinking on it till many minutes after I started. But when I did let myself think on those things past the original thought that popped into my head, it was not because I was praying or quoting scripture and it still happened. It was because I had forgotten or was not using those methods that I had found to be useful for fleeing temptation.

“Set your minds on things above, not on things on the earth.” –Colossians 3:2



Today’s Dare
Take some time to stop and think about what time of the day is most tempting to you. When you have pinpointed that time, pray and seek out ways to flee that temptation when it comes. Choose a method, whether that is listening to music, calling a friend, quoting scripture, all of the above, etc. Start today to take control of that time and turn it back to God by purposefully fleeing temptation and putting something good in its stead. Also, talk to your accountability partner(s), and let them know what your time of the day is, asking them to pray for you during that time and to ask you later whether you were faithful to flee from temptation. 

Comments