Skip to main content

The Lust Dare: Day #9





How to Use "The Lust Dare" 



Day #9: Books….

“I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.”
-Galatians 5:16

I was one of those radical girls. You know the kind who was going to save her first kiss until she got married? Yeah, that was me, the crazy pure type. The kind who was always getting teased for being a goody two-shoes. The kind who was always asked why I didn’t wear more revealing clothes. I mean a mini skirt never killed anyone right?

But I was intent on staying pure. What I didn’t realize was that it wasn’t just a matter of physical purity. There is mental and emotional purity as well, and I was unaware. So unaware that I slipped a lot farther than I ever intended to go. It really started when I was like 14 and was handed my first romance novel. It was titled Christian Fiction, but it started something much bigger. I loved the book. In fact I have read it four or five times now. And I began to read others. I would fall asleep at night dreaming of when I would have a man like the ones in the book.

I would smuggle romance novels under my mother’s nose so as not to hear her chiding. I would dream of some of the aspects of my wedding night or the days after when I was falling asleep at night. Not as racy of thoughts as some, I guess, but I went much farther than I could ever fully admit to any of my fellow purists. I volunteered at a bookshop, and in my spare time would grab romance novels off of shelves and read the more steamy pieces.

I almost want to stop here and clarify that I never got as far as the adult section, or some of those romance authors who are well known for their steamier passages. But that is beside the point. I had an issue, and it was getting bigger.

Funny that a book was the thing that revealed my problem. Books are pretty much my life. They have taken me everywhere from Boston to Africa to Narnia. They have been my comfort after a long cry, aided me in some of my most devious plans or ideas, and been a main source of my laughter and mirth. But then books were also a huge part of my problem. They contributed to my late night musings, and my impure thoughts.

Books really were the beginning of the whole lust issue, and it was also through books that I realized how bad it had become. When I found myself reading really steamy parts of romance novels, things that I still have a hard time dispelling from my head 19 months later, I knew that my lust had grown to an insane level. So I took radical steps. I grabbed a box and went into my room. I started perusing the shelves. Every book that had even a hint of romance in it, I threw in the box. And I mean, even a hint.

I got rid of Jane Austen novels, I got rid of Runaway Jury, because the protagonist has a girl who shows up here and there throughout the story, I mean everything. If I knew there was a scene in the book where the characters so much as hugged, I tossed the book. Those books ending up going to a book shop and I got some cash for them. But I could have just thrown them all away as well. Sometimes such radical steps are definitely called for.

There was a girl named Kelsea who faced a similar battle and said “It’s been hard, but I’ve noticed that by not reading any romances, and fasting and praying, the lust in my mind is really coming under control. Praise God! I still have lapses, but they are much fewer than before.” I resonate so strongly with this Kelsea, and have seen the same exact things in my own life.

“But each one is tempted when he is drawn away by his own desires and enticed.”
 –James 1:14

Today’s Dare
My dare to you today is to take any books that you might own or that might be lying around the house and tempting you and get rid of them. If they are a temptation, or might cause you to lust in any way, throw them out! Do not think that you can just skip certain parts of the book, but get rid of the temptation entirely. And then take a deep breath because you are more free from that sin which entangles.


The Lust Dare: Day #6
The Lust Dare: Day #7
The Lust Dare: Day #8
The Lust Dare: Day #10   
The Lust Dare: Day #11 
The Lust Dare: Day #12    
The Lust Dare: Day #13 
The Lust Dare: Day #14     
The Lust Dare: Day #15   
The Lust Dare: Day #16   
The Lust Dare: Day #17   
The Lust Dare: Day #18 
The Lust Dare: Day #19    
The Lust Dare: Day #20      
The Lust Dare: Day #21 
The Lust Dare: Day #22  
The Lust Dare: Day #23    
The Lust Dare: Day #24 
The Lust Dare: Day #25    
The Lust Dare: Day #26
The Lust Dare: Day #27    
The Lust Dare: Day #28
The Lust Dare: Day #29   
The Lust Dare: Day #30
  
 

 

Comments