Skip to main content

The Lust Dare: Day #4


How to Use "The Lust Dare,"



Day #4: Heed the Location.
“For in that He Himself has suffered, being tempted, He is able to aid those who are tempted.” –Hebrews 2:18

In my battle against the flesh, there were and are not only certain times of the day that are really tempting, but there are also certain locations. Locations where my surroundings just make it all the more difficult to take every thought captive and have my mind on things above instead of engaging in some form of mental lust.

That book shop I spoke of earlier was a prime example of that. Every time that I went to work it was an incredibly intense battle merely to keep myself from pulling the wrong kind of book off the shelf and rifling through it. I literally would go into the back of the store and sit on my hands for a couple minutes sometimes just to get the temptation to relax a little. And I didn’t always succeed on leaving the books on the shelves. After talking to my parents, it still took me a couple months to completely stop from grabbing a book now and then.

Another really difficult place for me was my brothers’ basketball games. As I grew up homeschooled, it was not every day that I was around a whole bunch of kind, good looking guys. But that is what I ran into at the basketball games. And most of the guys on my brothers’ team and even on the teams that they played against were either homeschooled or from a Christian school. So these guys were all pretty nice, and moral, and all of those other things that I found attractive as well. With so many attractive guys around, I found it really hard not to start imagining in too much detail a future with a guy like one of them.

These places were real temptations to me. And in them I often did not succeed in my new resolve. We all have these places. For some it may be the swimming pool where those around us are scantily dressed. For some it might be a bookstore where you are tempted to walk into the wrong aisle. For others it could be a mall or a movie theater. But we all have these locations, and we need to do what we can to escape these scenarios and flee temptation.

In my case, I was a great asset at the book shop, and the owner didn’t really have anyone else who could do what I did, so I decided I needed to stay on there. But my parents and other accountability partners were very aware that it was my battle field each week, and they would pray for me while I was there and ask me about it as soon as I got back. As for the other location, I went to very few of my brothers’ games that year.

Both of those locations have become easier for me over time, and are not such a temptation now. But that was only after I was much farther removed from them and was able to look back and see how ugly the sin of lust was when I was in those places.                

“God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation, will also make the way of escape.” -1 Corinthians 10:13

Today’s Dare
Take some time to think through which locations or scenarios make it really hard for you to keep from temptation. Then take actions to do your best to stay away from those scenarios and do something else instead. If you struggle in a mall, choose to shop consignment instead. If you have a hard time at a book store, choose to frequent only Christian stores until such day when you may be more practiced at fleeing temptation. And make sure that if for some reason you do have to enter one of those areas that causes intense battle, that you have an accountability partner praying for you and checking up on you afterwards.


The Lust Dare: Day #5
The Lust Dare: Day #6   
The Lust Dare: Day #7
The Lust Dare: Day #8
The Lust Dare: Day #9
The Lust Dare: Day #10
The Lust Dare: Day #11      
The Lust Dare: Day #12    
The Lust Dare: Day #13 
The Lust Dare: Day #14  
The Lust Dare: Day #15  
The Lust Dare: Day #16 
The Lust Dare: Day #17  
The Lust Dare: Day #18
The Lust Dare: Day #19
The Lust Dare: Day #20     
The Lust Dare: Day #21 
The Lust Dare: Day #22 
The Lust Dare: Day #23   
The Lust Dare: Day #24 
The Lust Dare: Day #25   
The Lust Dare: Day #26  
The Lust Dare: Day #27  
The Lust Dare: Day #28  
The Lust Dare: Day #29
The Lust Dare: Day #30
   



Comments