Skip to main content

The Lust Dare: Day #16


How to Use "The Lust Dare"



#16: Radical Action

But you, O man of God, flee these things and pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, patience, gentleness.” -1 Timothy 6:11

We are told over and over and over again in scripture to flee temptation, to flee those things that are not righteous, to look towards those things that are. I think that if this is so evidently painted all over the scriptures, then it is something that calls for radical action; radical action because God is not joking if he repeats it time and time again.

I have heard it told that when something is repeated in the Bible that means that it is very important. Repetition means “take note.” That is why when it says that God is Holy, Holy, Holy, it is so astounding, because the repetition of that word makes it so huge and real, and no one can question the holiness of a god like that.

Well we may think that half-hearted action against the flesh is ok, but the Bible tells us completely differently. And today, though we have talked through so many ways to avoid temptation, I just want to drive home the point that God really isn’t kidding.

If your right eye causes you to sin, pluck it out and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell. And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell.” –Matthew 5:29-30

This is some serious stuff, folks! So serious, that it is compared to cutting off one’s own hand. As a child, I always found this message very impacting. The idea that if I am sinning over and over with my hand, such as stealing or hitting someone, that I should literally take an ax or something and cut off my hand is a scary thought. But that is exactly what we are called to do with our sin.

I know that some people who knew that I was struggling with lust thought I was taking the whole fleeing temptation thing a bit far. They were looking in on the outside and just seeing me cutting my hand off, and they were crying out “What are you doing?!” But I knew how entangled I was, and I knew the only way to get out was to cut off that appendage.

So when my friends wanted to go to a movie, I reclined because I knew that the simple chick flick they were going to see could be a temptation. They thought that was silly. Sometimes when I was talking to friends, and they were going on about how wonderful the guy that they had was, I would excuse myself because that caused me to covet, which quickly again turned into lust. They really thought that was crazy, and I was just being dramatic.

But you and I know that this is a real battle. This sin is no joke, and we must take radical action against it. Do not grow callous or half-hearted in the battle, but pick up that ax and chop off anything that is getting in the way of you fighting that battle for the glory of God.

Flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.” -2 Timothy 2:22

Today’s Dare
Take radical action today in order to really and truly fight against the lusts of the flesh, and do not let yourself become halfhearted. If anything is causing you to sin, CUT IT OFF! Take it completely out of the way. You might have to get creative with this, and should ask your accountability partner both for some ideas and for prayer as you take said radical action. 


The Lust Dare: Day #6
The Lust Dare: Day #7
The Lust Dare: Day #8 
The Lust Dare: Day #9 
The Lust Dare: Day #10 
The Lust Dare: Day #11 
The Lust Dare: Day #12
The Lust Dare: Day #13 
The Lust Dare: Day #14
The Lust Dare: Day #15
The Lust Dare: Day #17  

Comments