Skip to main content

24 books in 2013.


For the past few years, I have gotten into the habit of reading romance novels. Granted, 95% of them were Christian fiction, but still romance. It was addicting. When I ran out of books from one author, I would go to another. It was also very unhealthy for me, as it is very easy to compare the men in your life to the ones in the books, and of course they never match up. It was shortly before Christmas that I decided to make a radical change in my reading habits.
I have not read a novel since December 21st. Since my previous average was about 2 or 3 novels a week, this is definitely a change. I have also read nothing with romance since that time. I do plan to go back to reading some novels at some point, but I don't intend to read any more romance.
I actually found this idea on a blog where a mother made a list of 24 books, and she read them all that year; two a month. She did this in both 2011 and 2012. This inspired me to find 24 books of my own for the year of 2013. The list I have compiled is below.

January:
Every Young Woman's Battle by Shannon Ethridge and Stephen Arterburn
7 Laws of the Learner by Bruce Wilkinson

February:
Signature in the Cell by Stephen C. Meyer
The Time Machine by H.G. Wells

March:
Case for the Creator by Lee Strobel
The Holiness of God by R.C. Sproul

April:
Feminine Appeal by Carolyn Mahoney
Weekend Makeover by Don Aslett

May:
My So-Called Life as a Proverbs 31 Wife by Sara Horn
Moby Dick by Herman Melville

June:
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
1776 by David McCullough

July:
A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain
When Children Love to Learn by Elaine Cooper

August:
Leadership as an Identity by Crawford Loritts
Kisses from Katie by Katie Davis

September:
How to Have a 48 Hour Day by Don Aslett
Desperate by Sarah Mae and Sally Clarkson

October:
Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
King Richard III by William Shakespeare

November:
Let me be a Woman by Elisabeth Elliot
Let it Go by Karen Lehman

December:
The Man who was Thursday by G.K. Chesterton

So there are a few novels in there. There is also a play, some history, genetics(a particular favorite of mine), devotions, and biographies. I will be posting my thoughts as I finish each, and if they are particularly good, they will join my Books I Recommend tab. I have already finished the first January book, and it is on that tab.
Every Young Woman's heart is a very radical book that teaches how to stay both passionate and pure in today's sex-saturated society. It covers everything from how to keep our minds pure, to how to recover from sexual sins, to recovering from sexual abuse of many kinds. I would recommend it for any single woman ready to read some mature material.
As you can see, I don't have a 24th book. I have not yet chosen the book that I will finish off the year with. I would love to hear some recommendations. If you have any great books that you would love to share, please do so, and if I find one that looks really good, I'll read it as the 24th and closing book for this experience.



Comments