Skip to main content

Command Man, Steady Man, or Visionary? (number 2)


Last week in this series I gave you a very brief overview of the three different types of men, and how they reflect the character of God in unique ways. Today I want to tell you more specifically about one of the three types, that is, the Command Man or King. This is a fun one. :)
The Kings see life as if they were on a high mountain. They look at the big picture, much more than they look at individual or personal needs. They often show little tolerance for those around them who drag their feet, make excuses, whine a lot, etc.... They are never ambiguous. They are men who want to move forward now, and they have a plan how to do it. Kings are often chosen by other men to be military commanders, politicians, preachers, and heads of corporations.
One of the men I admire most in life is a King. He knows what he wants, when he wants it, and how he wants it done. And he isn't afraid to tell you exactly what your part in his plan is. I can't remember the amount of times he would make his opinion very forcefully known over something as small as steel cut oats vs. rolled oats, or heat-sensitive touchscreens vs. touch-sensitive touchscreens.  (Yes, there is a difference.)
One of my favorite stories about this particular King was when I was at his home helping his wife make a salad. One of the ingredients we were going to use was feta. Growing up, I had always heard feta with a long a type sound. So naturally, in our discussion, that is how I pronounced the word. This Kingly man immediately perked up, and started clicking and looking for something on his computer. Moments later, he looks at me very pointedly, clicks a key, and this male voice comes out of the computer saying "feta."
Except this man pronounced the word with a short e type sound. The King pressed the button over and over to make sure that I understood his point. By this time both his wife and I are laughing hysterically, and it took a few moments to assure him that I understood the "correct" pronunciation. But that wasn't the end of it!
A couple days later I was making a salad again , this time with the King's youngest son's girlfriend. Again feta came up in the conversation. I slipped up, pronounced it with a long a, and you should have seen this King's response. He was on the other side of the kitchen in the middle of a conversation with his niece, but he paused, looked straight at me with a humorous glare, and threatened to pull out his computer to make sure I got it right.
Not opinionated at all! Note: sarcasm. This is typical behavior of a King. We will be looking even farther into this character at a later date, and will have the chance to learn how living with a King changes how we serve, respect, raise children, and more. But for now I will leave you with just a few more tidbits on a King.
Pros of a King:
-You will never have to wonder what your King wants.
-Your King will be very good at getting things done.
-When you need someone to take charge, this man is on the job.

Cons of a King:
-Can seem to have a deficit in patience and gentleness
-Will expect your absolute attention and service
-Will make opinions very clearly known at all times.

God has created some men in the world to reflect the character of God the Father in these and more ways. These are wonderful men, and I have been blessed to know at least two very special Command Men in my life. Pray for the Command Men you know, and stick by them always.

Command Man, Steady Man, or Visionary? #1
Command Man, Steady Man, or Visionary? #3
Command Man, Steady Man, or Visionary? #4
Command Man, Steady Man, or Visionary? #5
Command Man, Steady Man, or Visionary? #6
Command Man, Steady Man, or Visionary? #7

Comments

  1. This is a very interesting topic. I look forward to reading your other posts on it! I wanted to say though, that I loved the story in this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, that King friend of mine is really fun ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment