Skip to main content

What Godly Men Want.

My post today is based on a chapter in a book I just finished. Can you tell I like books? ;)  Actually, I am very excited to relate that this is the second non-fiction book that I have finished in just over 3 weeks! I am usually really really bad at finishing non-fiction, and thus this is a big step for me, and one that I plan to continue.
But moving on, the book this post is based on is titled: "Every Young Woman's Battle." It is coauthored by Stephen Arterburn, and Shannon Ethridge. This is a book I would highly recommend for any single women. As it is, I wanted to share something with my readers from the second to last chapter of this book. And that is the results of a survey taken of six Christian young men, on the top 10 things they look for or admire in women.The words inside parentheses are direct quotes from the book; comments on the guys top 10. Then the italics is a scripture I found to support each one.
1. She has a personal relationship with Jesus Christ. 
"When you pursue God like crazy, you'll be amazed at how He molds you into someone other people are drawn to and want to get to know. If a guy is initially drawn to your Christlike character, he likely also loves God."
And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. -Luke 9:23

2. She takes care of herself and has a positive self image. 
"They want a woman whose weight is relatively proportionate to her height; who has clean skin, well-kept hair and nails, and who takes pride in how she dresses and looks in public....They want a young woman whose confidence comes from within(Holy Spirit), not from them."
Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own,  for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body.               -1 Corinthians 6:19-20
3. She is generally a happy person and has a positive outlook on life. 
"No one likes being with a sourpuss, a whiner, or a complainer. By nature, we are drawn to people who life others up....Learn to look at the bright side of things....Laugh often."
For you, O Lord, have made me glad by your work; at the works of your hands I sing for joy.              -Psalm 92:4
4. She exercise self-control around other guys.
"Most guys admit to being relatively jealous creatures. When they like a girl, they don't want to see her acting overly friendly with other guys."
For the lips of a forbidden woman drip honey, and her speech is smoother than oil,but in the end she is bitter as wormwood, sharp as a two-edged sword. -Proverbs 5:3-4
5. She is careful with money and can budget wisely.
"One young man said 'If I'm going to work hard to earn the money, I want my wife to work hard to stretch it as far as possible.'...Practice being careful with money now, and walk into your marriage someday as an asset, not a liability."
And he who had received the five talents came forward, bringing five talents more, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me five talents; here I have made five talents more.’  His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’  And he also who had the two talents came forward, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me two talents; here I have made two talents more.’ His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.-Matthew 25:20-23
6. She has good relationships with her family and has close friends.
"If you can't live in relative peace with your family and don't have close friendships, it could be because you are hard to get along with, and a healthy guy will see this as a red flag.... Can you admit when you're wrong and ask forgiveness? Can you forgive others and choose to love them in spite of their shortcomings? Do people enjoy being friends with you because you know how to give and take in a relationship?
Having purified your souls by your obedience to the truth for a sincere brotherly love, love one another earnestly from a pure heart- 1 Peter 1:22
Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you. -Exodus 20:12
7. She is nurturing and would make a good mother someday.
"Guys want their kids to have enjoyable childhood experiences, and they want a wife who will nurture their children and take pride in being a mom....You may be very career-minded, but if you plan to have a family, you may have to be willing to sacrifice or postpone some goals for the sake of raising emotionally healthy children...the additional time and deep bond I enjoy with mu children is far more rewarding than my medical career I could have had."
She opens her mouth with wisdom, and the teaching of kindness is on her tongue....Her children rise up and call her blessed; her husband also, and he praises her. -Proverbs 31:26, 28
8.She is supportive of what I want to do with my life and encourages me.
"As a man wades through the decisions and disappointments that life presents, he needs a partner who will be in his corner, a woman who stands by her man....Make sure you are committed to supporting and encouraging him every step of the way down life's road." (emphasis mine)
Then the Lord God said, “It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him. -Genesis 1:18
9. She has her own dreams and goals that I can help fulfill.
"If you develop your own interests and discover your own passions, you will be a more happy, interesting, well-rounded person." 
My son, be attentive to my words; incline your ear to my sayings. Let them not escape from your sight; keep them within your heart. -Proverbs 4:20-21
10. She is adventurous and can enjoy at least some of my hobbies.
"Guys are typically adventurous creatures, and they want a woman who can share some of those adventures with them."
For man was not made from woman, but woman from man. Neither was man created for woman, but woman for man. -1 Corinthians 11:8-9

So now you know what guys look for. Just be sure in storing these things to remember that God is the ultimate one you should be trying to attract.

Comments